From Rise: The Vieneo Province - The Space Simulator MMO from Unistellar Industries, LLC
Thrust as a force
Thrust is the force that changes the inertia of an object.
To understand thrust we need to look at Newton’s laws of motion.
- An object at rest till stay at rest unless an out side force is applied to it.
- The change in an object’s momentum is proportional to the force applied to it.
- For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Newton’s second law the Law of Action
Thrust is the force described by Newton’s second law
Newton’s third law, reciprocal actions
An object accelerated away from another puts force on the both objects.
This can be demonstrated with;
- A balloon letting the air escape from it
- A rocket taking off
- A bullet fired from a gun
The balloon the air in side the balloon has mass it is forced out the back as the balloon contracts. The escaping air forces the balloon in the opposite direction.
The rocket the fuel is accelerated away from the engines the mass of the accelerated plasma forces the engines the opposite direction.
The bullet may shoot out the front of the gun barrel but the gun moves backwards, recoil.
Thrust in flight
There are 4 forces acting on an aerospace vehicle in flight.